Computer security has become a major concern among organizations and individuals. Hence the need for a quick and effective response to mitigate these attacks. The introduction of new security-related occurrences daily has led to the increase of attacks in cybersecurity. You can lose private information, data and files, including photos, art videos and audio tracks. So it makes sense to back up your files regularly. Nonetheless, you can protect yourself from online attacks in the following ways:
1. Use online banking wisely
Ever since online banking is established, several threats to financial details are evident. Some of the threats you need to be aware of include malware attacks. Malware is a software code initiated with an evil purpose. Such malicious computer programs typically consist of code developed by cyber attackers. The software is designed to steal account details at the login, including your passwords. It may also involve fake website subscriptions and account hijacking. In the case of online banking, you can do it safely through the following steps:
- First, you need to periodically review and evaluate the bank’s online policies.
- You need to use complex login details. Always change your identification number(PIN). Avoid easy to guess numbers such as year of birth.
- Your computer needs to be secured.
- Your credit cards usage needs to be increased. Credit cards are more secure than debit cards.
- Abstain from using accessing your accounts from public places. The chances of public monitoring are high. For instance, free wifi and other public networks.
- Check your account balance periodically.
- Regularly check emails from the bank.
- When you suspect an intrusion, take immediate action by contacting the bank.
2. Mitigate cyber threats on mobile phones
Just like any other personal computer, a smartphone contains a certain feature that makes it easily accessible to attackers. Smartphones need to be equipped with counterattack measures. Unfortunately, most smartphone owners do not know of security shortcomings. Below are some of the ways you can secure your mobile phone.
- Choose devices that have an emphasis on security features. Your smartphone must have a file encryption feature. This feature protects devices from malicious apps.
- Secure your smartphone through configuration. Enable password feature in your device. Choose a complex password with a combination of characters, symbols, and numerics.
- Ensure you are securely connected to the internet by configuring web accounts.
- Avoid opening suspicious links and malicious pop-ups.
- Avoid sharing your number on public websites.
- Choose your apps keenly by doing some research on them before installing and subscribing them.
- In case your device gets stolen, take immediate action. Report the incident to the organization and the service provider.
3. Use online gaming safely
Thanks to high-speed internet, online gaming has become available and easily accessible for you. You can find the games like car racing, Sudoku, and many others. However, you need to be very careful about the risk they come with. Some of them may contain online predators, spyware, malware, malicious strangers who may lure you into sharing sensitive information. Practicing online safety is the only way to mitigate these risks. Below are some of the guidelines for gaming-oriented security:
- You need to identify administrator mode risks. Most of the games request for your computer to be in admin mode. This will ensure that the downloaded game is safe and authentic.
- Be keen on firewall management. Home users can protect their devices by enabling the firewall to filter what is being accessed.
- Play the game on the site it is located to prevent encountering malicious websites and ads.
4. Have knowledge of voice over internet protocol (VoIP)
VoIP involves making calls using a broadband connection through the telephone lines. Some risks come with internet telephony called spam. Many telephone users have experienced unnecessary calls and voice messages. In the case of spammers, you can use the Akismet plugin to keep known threats away from your site or device.
5. Update your computer software regularly
There is a need to keep everything updated in your software because your device will be at risk if the updates from the provider are not done more often. You should also update company’s network and your word-press core.
6. Back up Plug-ins
No matter how fortified your devices may be, hackers may have new ways of cracking their way through. Therefore you need to be prepared to quickly recover if something should happen to your important files and data. It is also advisable to keep your backup separate from the main storage. For instance, a USB flash disk or an external hard drive. Remote backup like cloud storage is available too. You can create multiple data backups.
7. Use antivirus and antimalware softwares
This is the process to equip your computers with antivirus software. Antivirus is software used to prevent, detect, and remove computer viruses. A computer virus is a program that multiplies itself by changing other computer programs and writing its code. When the code is successfully inserted, the affected files are then “infected” with the virus. The most common virus includes Trojan horses, computer worms, etc. Artists should ensure to have an antivirus installed on their computers. Their art creations, music creation, video content, and live performances stored on the computer or laptop can get corrupted. This way, they may lose access to important data and files.
8. Server security
9. Payment gateway security
10. When using instant messaging (IM) programs, be smart
11. Download VPN apps
A VPN creates a secure connection between you and the internet. When you use the internet through a VPN, all your data traffic is sent through an encrypted virtual tunnel. VPN is preffered when sending important E-mails. E-mail is also a tool to conduct business. Even though you have better security software on your computer, your partner may not have.
12. Subscribe to computer security service
13. Be aware of phishing attack
14. Use firewalls
15. Choose strong passwords
Lastly, always choose a strong password for your email, social media accounts, bank app, or other streaming websites. A strong password makes it difficult for hackers to hack into your account.
Article: © Ben Heine